Tuesday, December 26, 2006

GRANDMOTHER MOON AND MIDLIFE CRISIS

Grandmother moon guards my precious secrets
And waits patiently for me to visit

A tall thin raven-eyed Montana Boy
Shimmers in Grandmother's silvery rays

He painted the same stories that I wrote
Star Woman and Earth Mother wore my face

Alcohol dulled his sorrow I couldn't reach
I wouldn't live as my mother and sister

Shackled by love and habit to a dream
I fled full knowing into my future

Every pathway appeared clear and easy
Flawless as the full moon on winter snow

But Time outran me, stealing a headstart
when I wasn't paying attention

My path was rocky, sometimes straight up hill
Overgrown with fragrant, pink, wild roses

A gauntlet of bouquets, perfume, and thorns
My path was filled with beauty, suns first light

I earned my vision and I sang my song
I cried for friends who died too soon, too young

Murdered by alcohol and stolen dreamsm
On my path I found a hummingbird's nest

Tonight the full moon summons me to dream
A fleeting glimpse of trails I did not take

To feel the warmth of the sun on my back
To know I took the one path best for me

To see a lean, black-eyed Montana Boy
Before alcohol silenced his laughter