Tuesday, January 23, 2007

TASHA'S TRUTH

TASHA’S TRUTH

(We see men as shadows, moving into position. There is a white man in a business suit. There is a white man in paramilitary uniform. There is a (Indian or White) man in policeman’s uniform. There are two young Indian men. There is an older Indian woman. They all carry pistols. There is a young Indian woman kneeling at the edge of the stage. The light rises on her. It is daybreak.)

TASHA

Creator Father, Earth Mother if this is to be my last day of life, grant me this request. I don’t want anyone to take my life, to snuff it out like a candle. If I am to die, I give my life freely for The People and my children, in exchange for their freedom, for their healing. May my name burn with the fire of youth and power and truth, all that I sacrifice. I have served you faithfully and I have done everything you have asked of me. I left the home of my Ancestors and traveled to this harsh land. I have stood between these beautiful people and the ones who want to kill them. I did not run when fear and suspicion turned my way. I am not what they say. I am not a traitor. I held my ground and carried this burden that you gave to me. It was all for my children, that they might be free. Light the pathway for my children so they won’t get lost or forget who they are. They are Native, born from Mother Earth. Let them walk forever in love. Don’t let them know hurt or harm. Keep me in their hearts. Let them understand that everything I did, I did for them. I leave my life force and all the love in my heart for my people and my children.

(The shadow people raise their weapons and fire.)
(Lights black out.)